Monday morning, back to work…

Well, everyone, exciting news. I survived my first day back at work today! It was not as dreadful as I thought it might be – and actually, it turned out to be really nice. My morning started out quite early: I woke up (and got up) when my alarm went off at 5:45 AM. I started the coffee (reminder to self: must set coffee maker timer tonight!), got dressed, threw my already prepared breakfast and lunch into my lunch bag, filled up my water bottle, filled up my coffee cup and was out the door by 6:15 or so. Not too bad, but I had hoped to get out of the house by 6AM.

I got to work in just under an hour, even with the rain. At about 8 o’clock one of my really good friends came up to my desk with a lovely vase of paper roses!! This might sound strange to some of you, but since I work in a building that houses archives and museum objects, we are not supposed to have dirt or plants in our offices or at our desks.


These flowers are SO BEAUTIFUL – and I love the fact that they will never die. I will keep them at my desk for as long as I can. Thank you, Jenny!!

At 8:30 I forced myself to eat the breakfast I had packed. I was not hungry, exactly, but I was starting to feel weird. I knew I had to get some food into my system. I had prepared half a cup of Stoneyfield vanilla yogurt, and I had a small handful of Kashi Go Lean Crunch and raisins to mix into the yogurt. (I totally forgot to take a photo!)

At 10am I had a welcome back staff meeting with a few of my colleagues… my boss had freshly brewed (amazing) coffee and mini cinnamon buns for a snack! Everything was so good.

I did not need to have lunch until 1 o’clock this afternoon. I had prepared a salad last night and added some turkey this morning before I left for work:


The salad had spinach, carrots, cucumber, tomato, red pepper and a reduced sodium Boars Head turkey. Last night I made a balsamic vinaigrette with dijon and honey, sort of modeled after the salad dressing my sister had over the weekend. I think my replica was a pretty good knock off! I had a couple of crackers on the side, too.

When I got back to my desk at lunch I had an amazing bouquet of (real) flowers waiting for me.


I could not for the life of me figure out who would send me flowers – the answer? My awesome friends Kristin and Katherine! Thank you, ladies! These flowers were so fragrant, and a lot of people stopped by my desk commenting on how beautiful they were.

Katherine also made cheese danish as a welcome back to work snack. She got the recipe from Ina, and it the danish was really wonderful! I think everyone on my floor enjoyed a piece. Merci, Katherine!

An hour or so after lunch I had a couple of almonds, dried cranberries, and semi sweet chocolate chips. I packed a little container of this ‘trail mix’ but only had about half of it.

I left work at 3 o’clock this afternoon – a little less than an hour early. I made an executive decision to not go to the gym today. I did a lot of walking around the building for work, up and down stairs and so on. By the end of the day my abs were letting me know that I had done enough movement. No walking on the treadmill for me tonight. Hopefully I will be back exercising in a couple of days. I certainly do not want to push myself too much on the first couple of days at work.

I was a little disappointed about not going to the gym tonight – but when I got home I had a welcome home present waiting for me at the door….


I love boxes from Amazon!! One day we will have to address the fact that I have a serious book addiction! Is it a problem? I do not think so 🙂 Inside there were two books that I had been looking forward to reading and cooking with:


I cannot wait to read At Home (I love Bill Bryson – A Walk in the Woods is one of my favorite books of all time). I also love breakfast and brunch, so I knew I needed this classic breakfast cookbook!)

Dinner should be good tonight – I’ll be back to report on it in a bit. Thank you for all of the well wishes on my first day back at work in months!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s