Food · Running

Post Race Recovery

Hi All:
Sorry I have been away for a couple of days.

Not too much to report, but I have survived the last couple of days since the half marathon. I took Monday off from work to recover. My knees were sore, and my quads were not exactly thrilled with me on Monday. But all in all I was feeling pretty good considering I had just run 13.1 miles the day before. By the time I went back to work on Tuesday I was feeling 90% recovered.

But I have to say, I have been feeling a little bit blah ever since the race. Could it be post – race let down? I have no idea. I have been wrapping up a few huge projects and reaching some pretty big goals in life these days, and I think that might have something to do with it.

Do you ever feel a bit of a let down after you have finished up a big project at work that you have been working on for many months?  Or wonder what your next goal is supposed to be after you have reached a goal that you have had in your head for years? I guess it is time for me to turn the page and find out what is next in life.

Today is Wednesday and it is a cold and dreary day in Boston – not really helping my mood much, I must admit.  But I decided that today would be the day that I started getting back into my healthy eating and exercise routine.

I started off with hot oatmeal for breakfast. It totally hit the spot, especially since it was cold and rainy outside and rather cold in my office, too:

The oatmeal was great. I tried to wait a little later than normal to eat breakfast because I have been so hungry lately. I had the oatmeal at 9:30 this morning and was able to get through until lunch at 12:30 this afternoon with a lot of water and a mug of hot tea (passion tea – one of my favorites!) at around 11 o’clock.

Lunch was not exactly healthy – but it was a work celebration with three of my co-workers. We had a pizza lunch to celebrate the end of our big project that we have been working on for almost a year.  I had two pieces of cheese pizza and they were wonderful. (And a lot of water to go with the pizza)

In the afternoon I had another big mug of tea – this time a peppermint tea.  At 4 o’clock I enjoyed my Greek yogurt.

I hope the yogurt will keep me going because it is going to be a long while until  I can break for dinner. I have a train ride home and then I hope to make it to the gym for a 30 minute workout on the elliptical machine. Fingers are crossed. Then it is home to make a salad for dinner, throw in some laundry and start thinking about my weekend trip to Maine.

I hope you are all having a great week. I will be back to report tonight on the rest of my day.

See you then!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s