Sunday did not get off to the same brilliant start that Saturday did. Well, maybe it did – but just in a very different way. It was the same deal, I was supposed to call Ned when my alarm went off and get out and go for an early morning run. This was supposed to be my long run of the week, too.

Well, I blame Harry Potter for the entire missed long run workout (yes, I should really take some responsibility myself, but I’m going to put most of the blame on HP). I had every intention on going to an early showing of the film and I was really excited to see it. But the 6 pm, 7:30 pm and 8:05 pm films were all sold out. So I went to the 9 PM show on Saturday evening. Getting me home around 11:40 and I was not able to go to sleep right away. So I talked on the phone, and read on my nook until about 1:15 in the morning.

On Saturday night I was told to call Ned on Sunday morning when I woke up. I already had a bad feeling about my energy level on Sunday, so I said, “if you don’t hear from me, call me please.” So, when my alarm went off at 6:45 I am pretty sure I did not even stir. When the phone rang at 8am, I was very confused. It was Ned, just getting back from his run. He might have been slightly shocked and confused that I was still in bed. Sleeping. And then, after we talked for five minutes, I went back to sleep. I finally got up around 10:15 this morning. It was a weird start to the day.

Breakfast was a smoothie with 1/2 a cup of Greek yogurt, a small handful of strawberries, a small handful of blueberries and a sprinkle of chia and flax seeds. The smoothie was a beautiful color- it was fluffy and tasty, too.


In order to get my eating back on track, I knew I had to swing by Whole Foods at some point. Finally around 12 o’clock I got my act together enough to actually get out the door and get my day started. Instead of heading to the gym and then to Whole Foods, I just went straight to WF figuring I would get to the gym later in the day if there was time. (Yeah, I totally should have gotten up when I was supposed to and gotten my training run out of the way at 7 o’clock this morning…)

Whole Foods was productive:


Once I put the groceries away and cleaned up the kitchen I got started on pesto. I had a bunch of basil from the farmers’ market which was already starting to wilt even though I had put it in a vase with water… it was simply too hot in the house to keep it alive for much longer.

I soaked and cleaned the basil, which sort of brought it back to life (a little bit).


I added some beautiful basil from my backyard, too. I chopped up a couple of cloves of garlic, and toasted some pine nuts.


Once the pesto was finished, I put most of it in the freezer for Thursday night’s dinner. But I saved just enough to make lunch for myself. I put together a pretty amazing sandwich with 12 grain bread from WF, a tomato from the farmers’ market, a little melted mozzarella and the FRESH PESTO.


It was the perfect summer sandwich.


Eventually I got to the gym and did 5.6 miles in an hour. I really hate the treadmill – but there are days in the summer that it just a necessity for me. The rest of the week the temperatures are only supposed to be in the 80s so I am hoping I can get back outside for my after work runs. 🙂

Dinner tonight was ratatouille and whole wheat pasta. I will be having the same thing tomorrow, so I’ll post a picture then! I hope you all had a great weekend. I’m off to prep breakfast and lunch & pack my gym bag for Monday. See you tomorrow!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s