A Long Overdue Long Run

Happy weekend!!! I don’t know about you but I am so glad it is the weekend right now. Work was so busy this week, but somehow I managed to maintain a decent work, life, running balance – I am not quite sure how I pulled it off.

Saturday morning meant a long run for me. I have been so long overdue for this long run it is kind of embarrassing. I had scheduled 7 miles for this morning, which meant I had to go to bed with my alarm set last night. The alarm went off at 7 o’clock this morning. I woke up feeling sick to my stomach – I chalked it up to nerves because I had a decent run staring me in the face. I pressed snooze once, got up at 7:10 and gave myself some time to wake up.

While I was [trying to] relax and give myself some much needed “wake up” time, I snacked on a few dried Cheerios. I knew I needed something in my system before I went out on a run. Thankfully the Cheerios did the trick! Some carbs and they sat well with my stomach. I had laid out my clothes and most of my running “stuff” the night before so I was pretty well organized.

I was on the road by 8:15 AM. I got most of the miles accomplished – but starting at mile 6 I felt a weird sensation in my right foot. This totally weirded me out because my boyfriend recently had to go to the doctor about a foot injury from running – and now I was feeling the exact same pain in my foot, in the same area. I wanted to chalk it up to sympathy pains – but I also did not want to push myself into a bad injury. So at mile six when the weirdness started, I decided to head home. I still got in a 6.71 mile run – so I did not feel too bad calling it quits a little bit earlier than I had wanted to. The good news is other than the blister and the weird foot thing, I definitely felt like I could have kept running a few more miles – yay!

After the run I rewarded myself with an iced soy latte at my neighborhood Starbucks. Thankfully, Starbucks rewarded me with a much coveted leather chair (these beauties can be difficult to come by on a Saturday morning – do you know what I mean??) I sat in the chair and enjoyed my latte and my book. It was heavenly! (I also drank about 20 ounces of water to rehydrate.)

Once I got home I started on my mission for the weekend. Cleaning. I am really supposed to clean my room – because it looks like a bomb went off in there (I am quoting, FYI) but I started the cleaning mission by cleaning out my car.

I had quite a few running shoes in the car – you never know when you might need a pair – am I right??

Image 4.jpg

After showering, stretching, icing my knees and heating my glutes, I read for a while. Then I turned on the computer and read a couple of blogs and read and responded to e-mails:

Image 5.jpg

I am really enjoying a Saturday of just relaxing – even more so since I logged some miles in early this morning. Do you know what one of my favorite things to do after a run is these days??? Eating a bowl of cereal with berries. So. Weird.

Image 6.jpg

… and so good! My post run meal was a couple of hours after my run which isn’t the greatest thing in the world, but I have a hard time eating when I am not hungry. (which is so rare because really, I’m always hungry – as you can tell by reading this blog!) In the mix today: Kashi vanilla island cereal, peanut butter Cheerios, blueberries, strawberries, and a spoon of Trader Joe’s almond butter – and some light vanilla soy milk. Yum.

I am going to go back to relaxing and reading. Eventually I am going to get back to cleaning and organizing. I hope you are having a great weekend so far!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s